Thursday, April 07, 2005

No place like home?


For some, having to tell someone where they come from can be a little embarrassing.

In some cases, more than a little embarrassing.


A fellow 'blogger and all-round media-friendly lass touched upon an interesting thought or two which prompted me to Google up some light-hearted amusement.

Consider the poor, unfortunate souls who hail from the likes of Felch, Michigan, America or Cunt, Elazig, Turkey.

Or those from the homely and welcoming Dikshit, India.

And let's not forget those from Minge, Nivelles, Brabant Wallon, Belgium. So the logical collective soubriquet for such people would be Minggers, presumably?

Or on the other hand .. or on any hand that takes your fancy for that matter, those from Wankers Corner, Oregan, America.

As a point of fact, I live a little over eleven miles from Penistone, South Yorkshire, Great Britain.

So the next time you bemoan the boring name of your hamlet / village / town / city, be thankful you don't come from Fucking, Tarsdorf, Austria...

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the name of the village I used to live in: Sinton Green.

Erm ... and that's it.

8:55 pm  
Blogger Sray said...

Correction: Dikshit is a last-name in India.

I bet many English names will have similar meanings in other languages :-D.

8:56 pm  
Blogger DJ said...

I used to live in NAR NAR GOON here in Australia

9:32 pm  
Blogger zuzula said...

thanks for the plug dear!

I have since found out that I am currently:

0.6 miles from Cock Pond
4.4 miles from Mincing Lane
14 miles from Pratt's Bottom
14.9 miles from Titsey Park
19.5 miles from Tyttenhanger
24.4 miles from Thong
27.1 miles from Minges
27.1 miles from Knob Hill
27.3 miles from Herbert's Hole
27.8 miles from Claggy Cott

how marvellous :)

11:29 am  
Blogger Pamela said...

OMG!!! *once again holding on to pregnant bladder*

FUNNY!!!!

Myself, I would LOVE to live in some messed up named place. I'm a little "off" like that. :o)

4:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remembered there's a road in a village near(ish) me called Minge Lane.

And there's a signpost somewhere near Birmingham pointing to the village of Pink Green.

5:17 pm  
Blogger broomhilda said...

I know of a French Lick, Wisconsin

5:00 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Thanks for posting, Broomhilda!

"I know of a French Lick, Wisconsin..."

That could be the basis of a really poor joke:

That's a nice offer, you're place or mine? And my name isn't Wisconsin. It's Wayne...

7:34 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Whoa!

So when did DJ, Zu and Raida post?

Where are my email notifications?

Not a happy bunny...

7:36 pm  
Blogger Sray said...

Email notifications are acting up. I havent received many of my recent notifications!

8:07 pm  
Blogger Sray said...

I left a comment on your other blog (post abt. the windmill), in case you dont get the notification...

8:16 pm  
Blogger broomhilda said...

You're right Wayne,bad joke, funny, but bad.

there is also a Hell, Michigan.
the towns of Bone Gap, Oblong and Reddick, all in Illinois.
Again in Wisconsin, there the towns of Beaver and Hustler.

11:43 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

I really don't know what to make of Bone Gap.

That's an odd one.

I know there's a place called Wetwang, again in Yorkshire...

12:06 am  
Blogger Pamela said...

Dammit....I wanna live in both Wetwang and Hell!!!

And Wayne - my notifications have been frigged up lately too! It's a pisser but at least you know it's not just you. :o)

5:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home