Sunday, August 21, 2005

Things that really .. really piss me off: part XII


Well, it's been some time some since I let loose my negativity, but I think the time is again upon us.

While I've belched forth my bile on the subject of political correctness before now, recent events have piqued my rage once more.


Over here in Britain, we have a high street bank called NatWest (Formerly going under the more formal title of The National Westminster Bank .. quite!)

They're running an advertising campaign on television at the moment where this guy walks up & down some streets in London bemoaning the various services that his bank lacks, and at the end of the piece, the NatWest are there to bail him out.

In one instance, he says something along the lines of: "My Indian restaurant is local." As he stands outside the restaurant.

Then on the inside, sat down with his curry & rice: "While my bank has gone to India." Which is a swipe at the call centre services being 'off-shored'.

Now, this was a simple enough dig at the growing appetite of almost all industry sectors to float off their support services abroad, typically to India.

Funny? Mildly.

Factual? Broadly, yes.

However, if you're as observant as me, you'll have noticed that the advert has been changed.

...

Then on the inside, sat down with his curry & rice: "While my bank has gone somewhere else." Or something to that effect, but definitely no mention of India.

We do indeed live in curiously litigious times.

We somehow feel pressured to pander to some of the most effete and limp-wrested sensibilities imaginable.

How anyone -- even someone who is Indian -- could feel insulted by such a truly harmless piece of topical advertising, I cannot imagine.

Who am I kidding?! Of course I can imagine.

With the words: 'mental trauma' embolden on the lawsuit and a spurious note from a doctor, anyone with a suntan could jump in and make a grab for some big money prizes in the national lottery law courts.

I'm concerned that British law is moving far too close to American law, in the sense that anything goes.

If that day does come, then it won't just be the call centres that'll be buggering off to India...

14 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

I am fed up with trying to talk to "customer service" reps in India who cannot understand what I'm saying in PERFECTLY FINE English, even if I do have an American accent, thank you very much. That's enough to cause a company to lose me as a customer FOREVER. Think about that when you save 20 cents a call by moving your call center

12:58 pm  
Blogger DJ said...

Well firstly let me say I've missed your missives about what pisses you off.
Allow me to add an alternate possibility in that it may have been innacurate to say everythings gone to India.
The last mega-corporate I worked for started to outsource stuff to India prior to my orchestrating my own demise, since that momentous day I've kept in touch with many of those with whom I worked. Recently having decided India was *too expensive* they decided to outsource to either Egypt or Romania or both. The uncertaintly at my end is due to not being able to verify either location myself so I'll give both possibilites equal billing.
Now since this mega-corporate wasn't known for its leading edge decision making I assume they're following rather than leading a trend, thus (linking back to my original purpose for posting) its possible that saying or implying everyone's off to India but simply be a case of inaccuracy, rather your "local" bank may be in some "emerging" economy formerly a member of the Soviet Bloc. or Egypt

1:44 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Wow, Chicken Little!

Don't shoot the messenger! :-/

Either this is a raw nerve I've hit or you're directing your wrath at me.

I'm with you, every step of the way.

DJ, as you might have noticed, we're onto number thirteen of my angry dispatches. Feel free to track them down.

I did factor in your observation: "Allow me to add an alternate possibility in that it may have been innacurate to say everythings gone to India."

By saying: "Now, this was a simple enough dig at the growing appetite of almost all industry sectors to float off their support services abroad, typically to India.

Funny? Mildly.

Factual? Broadly, yes."

It's obvious that not all service & support has moved abroad to India.

In fact, I'm as likely to speak to someone in Holland as India...

1:52 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

"DJ, as you might have noticed, we're onto number thirteen of my angry dispatches."

Correction: we're onto twelve, not thirteen...

1:54 pm  
Blogger Shirley said...

Sorry, not directing my wrath at you. I just know not to sign up for that 3-year technical service package (at $199.99) that comes with new computers because they freaking can't communicate on the phone!

Calm now, feel better having said it. Didn't mean to blast anyone. :)

4:54 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Well I'm actually pleased I've hit a raw nerve!

You might not appreciate that right now, but that's the purpose of this series of 'blogs.

One of the guys that pops in every now and then is Indian. He's a fellow 'blogger and we've covered this issue before from another angle.

For me, there's no room for talk of racism because it's a simple matter of not being provided with an adequate service.

So whether it's Americans and British people getting re-directed to call centres in India or Indians being re-directed to call centres in America or Britain,

If you're not speaking the language, or you're speaking the language poorly, then someone isn't doing their job right...

5:09 pm  
Blogger Shirley said...

I meant no offense to the people of India. I just can't understand the accent.

5:23 pm  
Blogger Shirley said...

If it makes any difference, I don't want any "foreign" accents in my business transactions. I should be ashamed to say that, but that's the way I am. The ATM machines at my bank speak in British accents. It's maddening.

5:26 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

"The ATM machines at my bank speak in British accents. It's maddening."

Well we invented the damn things, what do you expect?

;-)

5:43 pm  
Blogger Shirley said...

I expect us to take credit for it, like we do everything else!

:)

5:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd noticed that the advert had changed, too, but didn't go so far as attributing it to political correctness - I don't think enough to come up with actual answers!

10:50 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

"I'd noticed that the advert had changed, too, but didn't go so far as attributing it to political correctness - I don't think enough to come up with actual answers!"

To change the advert at the tale-end of its shelf life doesn't make any sense unless there was a real [relatively speaking] and pressing reason...

9:34 am  
Blogger mysfit said...

"We somehow feel pressured to pander to some of the most effete and limp-wrested sensibilities imaginable."

lame and f-ing true. it's amazing what people will sue for and win - soon things like knives will have to have warning labels that say 'utensil may be sharp'. anything to not be responsible for our own actions, right?

"it may have been inaccurate to say everything’s gone to India."
no shit. i didn't see the add, but it sounds to me like the ad didn't say everything's gone to india, it merely gave an example and that they changed it so late in the game certainly indicates that it pissed someone off. not only are people easily offended and righteous, but part of the reason is they take things too damn literal.

sorry, a bit of a ranter myself

4:13 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Hi Mysfit and thanks for commenting!

If this subject is getting your hackles up, you might want to read the 'blog I wrote on the subject of political correctness I've linked to at the head of this 'blog.

This marks the twelfth rant & rave, the thirteenth will be an omnibus edition featuring the previous twelve.

So if you like reading stuff that gets your blood boiling, stick around!

4:18 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home