Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Going to the movies


It is something of a tradition for me. Every Sunday evening, I -- along with a few friends -- go into Sheffield to see a film at one of the cinemas.

In short, I enjoy films.


While I might have a broad taste in films, I'm also quite selective. So, films like The Fast And The Furious (or should I say: The Crass And The Spurious?) don't feature highly on my list of ones to watch.

While there have been notable failures in my cinedar early warning system, such as going to see Brit-Flick flop Trauma which was just utter .. utter shite, I'm more often than not able to deftly side-step the turkeys that some how lurch into main stream cinemas.

For me, a well-made film is a wonderful thing. The attention to detail in correct casting, imperceptible editing, character nuisances and plot pace and development are the things that I enjoy immersing myself in.

So, when offered the chance to sit through pirate DVD's which are perplexingly piss-poor in quality, screaming: 'Sit down you bastard!' when someone stands up and shuffles across the screen to go and take a piss or whatever, I often decline.

I love the whole immersive quality of the cinema.

I'm able to take a film for what it is. So if I watch a James Bond or an Arnold Schwarzenegger film, then I let the thing go over my head and the film becomes nothing more than school-boy escapism and pure entertainment. Nothing too serious, just sit back and let the thing wash over you.

While other films immerse you in a world of believable characters, circuitous story lines and both harrowing and hilarious moments, with realism as well as surrealism.

There are some actors and actresses that make a film more than a simple excursion to the cinema and instead propel you into another world entirely. Here are a few that spring to mind:

The pure acting depth, subtlety and genius of Alec Guinness.

The sublime and enigmatic Morgan Freeman.

The reliable and matriarchal Brenda Fricker.

The curiously framed but non-the-less ferocious Gene Hackman.

The detailed, well-groomed and deliciously witty Kevin Kline.

The debonaire and adept George Clooney.

The beautiful, talented and still yet to peak Halle Berry.

The indomitable and laconic Charles Laughton.

The icomparable, rugged and stoic Clint Eastwood.

The intoxicatingly sensuous and strangely curious Angelina Jolie.

The rewarding, exact and intelligent Samuel L. Jackson.

The memorable and just simply watchable Dennis Quaid.

The charismatic, handsome and daringly versatile Sean Connery.

Feel free to add your own...

3 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Also an excellent list.

My list wasn't exhaustive, or I'd have been there all night putting the damn thing together.

Gindy: there is a cinema in my local town, but there's only one screen .. and it's my local town.

We like to get about a little. So we might travel around to nearby towns and cities.

Where we live, we're right in the middle of things. So we have the choice of almost a dozen towns and cities, all within 30 miles of where we live...

8:33 am  
Blogger Sray said...

Perhaps you should also add actors from old days, such as Gregory Peck, Omar Sharif and Anthony Quinn?

1:44 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

It's £5 or there about.

So, that does actually come to about $10.

Personally, I think it's maybe a little expensive. I'd say £4 is more like it.

But when you roll in petrol money, snacks & drinks, the night comes to about £8 or £9 in total...

7:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home