Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Lies, damn lies and shite telephony service providers


I'm getting just about sick of getting calls from people asking me where the nearest [PC World] store is.

I’ve called PC World, passed through the bowels of their support tree to speak to Rebecca.

Having painted a very clear picture of my abject annoyance, making deft use of casual but pithily-delivered expletives, I request the number for the head office.

With great haste she gave me the number for the head office, which then asks me to choose where I want to lodge a complain, which then gives me a bunch of options, which inevitably contains PC World, which means I’m back where I started, this time talking to Steven.

Second time round calls for special sanctions, so I demand to speak to his supervisor, or someone in a position of responsibility. Which, when dealing with call centres, can be an extremely ambiguous request. Enter the confused and clearly stressed Benjamin.

In fairness to him, he was quite helpful and explained that PC World only use the one sales number, which I’m aware of.

I explain that I’ve been here before and that I’m aware of the one number policy. I also explain that I’ve contacted British Telecom at least twice to get this issue resolved.

I also explain that I have an extensive list of numbers that British Telecom assure me are residential numbers, which almost certainly confirms that these are either existing or prospective PC World customers.

I go on to explain that if you use a shite telephony service provider, then you’re going to get call over-spill when the exchange gets busy. The moral being, avoid shite telephony service providers.

Interestingly and ironically, PC World use British Telecom as their telephony service provider, which sort of explains a lot, but this also annoys the feck out of me because if British Telecom know that I’m having problems -- which they damn well do -- and that I knew the calls were for PC World and not me, then why did they try to fob me off by telling me that there’s nothing that they can do?

Time for a daily challenge.

See how quickly I can ruin somebody’s day with only a telephone and a few choice words.

I’m sure I’m up to that challenge...

7 Comments:

Blogger DJ said...

Pity you can't add some small children to the mix, get them to answer the phone...

9:41 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

To quote from the Alan Hansen phrase book: indecision is final.

It's not so much that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing .. it's that the left hand doesn't even know that the right hand is even there...

10:41 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

Hi Wayne honey! i'm afraid sometimes life can be like that, it's a strange silly marketing ploy for companies to waste your time pressing option buttons and then getting back to where you've started! Grr! that gets angry that does when they do that!
How are you? I've missed your lovely posts and yoursself!

10:42 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

Could be a case of being ambidextrous?

10:43 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

When you are done communicating with your company, I may use you to help me with mine. I'm getting a lovely sharp pain in my head from it all...

1:02 am  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

I have a habit of being quite mercenary.

As long as you pay for the call, I'll do the business...

8:56 am  
Blogger Katie said...

By the way, you couldn't spare some time for me could you to set up a website? I was thinking to do a fan site for my hero on TV, and was looking for help!

10:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home