Monday, April 18, 2005

Random excerpts & interludes, part II


The woman at my door

I peep through the curtains. Pulled to the side just enough to squint through and down onto the drive.


A middle-aged woman quickly sweeps her well-kempt blonde hair back and rolls her shoulders. Just enough to straighten the top of her blouse and coat.

I sigh as the realization of her purpose resonates through me.

She's a door-to-door religious saleswoman selling her faithful wares.

How do I know this?

How do I arrive at such a point of pin-head accurate clarity about her reason for being on my front door step, after only the briefest of glimpses?

The way she's dressed.

Her hasty door step preparation.

The way she holds herself.

Her replete handbag hung off of her left shoulder.

And last but not least, the fact that I never heard the gate she had to pass through to get to my door.

A sure sign of unwelcome stealth.

I'm actually quite busy, but this could be a good chance to get into the mind of such people and see just what it is that motivates them.

I suspect many things, and many of my theories have proven to be correct, but this is my chance to gather empirical evidence -- as it were -- from one of the many 'client facing' operatives who ply their trade from house to house.

I appear at the door, standing there with the door just ajar, holding my dog back with my left foot, with only the cursory and customary sniffs of the air as she attempts to satisfy her canine curiosity.

The woman smiles warmly, but falsely.

She is wearing a very strong but not unpleasant perfume, which I'm sure is all part of the presentation.

Like most people that come to my door, when I answer, they look straight to my feet.

Much of my day at home is spent barefoot. I have no need of slippers or socks or other such things.

This distracts her momentarily, but she recovers enough of her faculties to begin with her patter.

I allow her to spew forth her spiritual sales spiel. I do not smile and do not unfold my arms.

I lean against the frame of the door. I do not invite her in and I maintain my austere demeanor.

I choose to make her work for my time.

When the moment arrives and mood takes me and when my conceit gets the better of my fairer, wiser self, I made my beliefs very clear to her.

I have chosen to follow the unimpeachable path of logic, I proclaim in so many round, clear words, careful to speak slowly and thoughtfully.

Slowly enough to make it clear I'm not the ordinary householder she would come up against in her daily travels. But not too slowly as to appear patronizing. A self-indulgence of the English, or so I'm told.

"I'm an evolutionist, not a creationist", I add.

This she understood and leapt upon with glee as she thumbed instinctively to a page in the bible held loosely in her left hand.

Am I so predictable?

Probably not. Maybe I skipped a few of regular stages of the conversation, but her method is to her so well known, she was able to meet me there.

She read one passage after another and I quickly returned with an instant dismissal in each case, which while catching her off guard for a moment, she interpreted as a challenge. Or misinterpreted, rather.

I had arrived at a clear grasp the woman quite quickly. She was a foot soldier. The woman in the field.

I tried to explain to her the elementary failings of her unfocused and waisted belief, but she wasn't to be budged.

Each and every time I pointed out the child-like simplicity of all religion, not just her christian faith, she repeatedly saw this as a chance to dip into her now dog-eared and clearly well-read bible.

Inside, I sigh.

I indulge my cruelty: "I'm not at all religious, but I am a very spiritual person."

Her eyes glaze over as she attempts to process what to her at least is a complete and utter contradiction in terms.

To the majority of the religious, they believe that they are the curators and the owners of spiritualism, and such things are merely an extension of religion, rather than being separate to.

She stutters for a moment and then mentally scrambles to find some relevant passage from the bible that might head me off at the theological pass. But I stymie her attempts with curt, simple and withering rebuttals.

I've been here before, only most other times, these exchanges become charged and angry because I will neither concede ground nor accept what is to me unacceptable.

I sense she feels I am being truly dismissive of her faith and she asks if I have ever read the bible.

I shake my head. But that is a lie. I have attempted to read the bible on more than one occasion, but I find myself either frustrated by the impenetrable structure or word use, or offended by the unrelenting arrogance.

To a larger degree, I am being truly dismissive of her faith, but I then point out to her that to dismiss the bible, or indeed any religious works in their entirety would be to dismiss the efforts of a great many people.

That would be foolish. As a model of moral & ethical governance, most religions at the very least form a working template.

For me, questions are healthy. Questioning things is an integral part of what I do. For every problem, I try to find at least three viable, efficient solutions.

So if I can offer any advice to anyone, then that would be to question everything you're not sure about. Be veracious and unrelenting in your pursuit of the facts. Accept no halve-truths and after all of this, if the bearer of the facts imparts to you with visible angst and resignation, then you've probably reached your goal.

To this woman, her belief is such that she believes her religion is the panacea to all questions. To me, religion is a veneer of conformity and merely a platform for yet more questions, most of which are either entirely answerable or so withdrawn into their own hand-me-down dogma as to be a contrivance and nothing more.

I smile. I make my excuses and we part company.

She quickly dips into her handbag for some leaflet. A picture of some guy in a christmas sweater leafing through the bible with a look a pretentious, staged earnest adorned the cover.

I politely take the leaflet, smile and I close the door.

I lock the door, jog upstairs and into my room.

I throw the leaflet into a corner of the room. Into and amongst the pile of letters and various unsolicited correspondence I receive over the course of the day.

I return to work...

13 Comments:

Blogger Onkroes said...

You cruel man - playing with that woman like a cat with a mouse! ;-)

I hate all forms of cold-calling! If I want to buy it, I'll contact them. If I get a cold call I'll reject it on principal!

I had a long phone call yesterday from Powergen, it was long because I couldn't get rid of the guy, and my British 'not being rude' muscle kept me from just hanging up, until I got totally sick of him.

I tried talking to cold caller Religious salespeople before (I think they were JWs), but they will not listen, and are trained very well to counter your arguments. Eventually you just have to shut the door.

11:04 am  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

"I tried talking to cold caller Religious salespeople before (I think they were JWs), but they will not listen, and are trained very well to counter your arguments. Eventually you just have to shut the door."

This is the first installment, so there's more to come.

I suppose the moral of this story is, there is always someone more devout than yourself.

And no matter what the convictions of someone might be, defeat is often in the hands of the ignorant...

11:09 am  
Blogger Sray said...

Just imagine the amount of devotion it takes to go from door to door and face rejections like this... it is scary. People with malicious intentions channel this devotion to really evil stuff....

11:23 am  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

I have to apologize in advance for not being able to pop in and post on your 'blogs.

I'm just stacked out with work, right now. So time is luxury rather than a commodity.

"Just imagine the amount of devotion it takes to go from door to door and face rejections like this... it is scary."

It is, but then it could be argued that a clock is devoted, or a car, or a radio.

But then once you understand these things are simply automata and know little else, then things become clearer...

12:09 pm  
Blogger Sray said...

Hey, dont worry about posting comments :-)...

"But then once you understand these things are simply automata..."

That is what I meant. It is scary to see people being turned to automata so easily. This door-crasher of yours is quite benign. But remember that on the other end of this same scale, there are suicide bombers :-(.

3:42 pm  
Blogger Onkroes said...

"on the other end of this same scale, there are suicide bombers"

Suicide-JW's?
Believe, or I blow you up!!
Scary thought!

I understand the JW's or the Mormons (I forget which) tell their converts that they have to do door-to-door as part of their service and that if they don't do it they'll go to hell. (that's apocryphal by the way, I didn't hear it first hand)

My view is 'freewill above all' (as long as you don't hurt anyone). If you choose to believe something that's your prerogative, but don't force it on someone else. If you choose not to believe in anything, that's your choice too. It's not as if the Bible/Qur'an/etc.. are not freely available if anyone wants to read them. Choice, choice, choice. Just don't ram your choice down my throat!

4:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have any of you read ‘Has God Spoken?’ by A. O. Schnabel? (www.hasgodspoken.com) I found the book quite fascinating. I encourage anyone to read it. Not because I’m forcing beliefs on others but because everyone should be open minded (but not so open minded that they believe everything and everyone is right) and find the Truth.

“[I]t could be argued that a clock is devoted, or a car, or a radio.

But then once you understand these things are simply automata and know little else, then things become clearer...“

Many people who are “automata” are not open minded and take what other people have told them (or trained them throughout life) for granted. If we search, we will find.

Whoever the woman was and whatever her beliefs she was trying to do what she believed was right. She had a heart and concern for other people. The world needs more people willing to help others.

6:06 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Hi and thanks for posting.

I understand what you're saying, and in a sense, I do appreciate what this woman was trying to do.

But to give away a little of the second part of this encounter, I said to her quite simply: I am not one the lost sheep. I've found what I'm looking for and it's not religion.

I've seen what religion is capable of and very little of its collective efforts are of any real import.

In the earlier mists of time, religion was very much needed, as a cohesive social glue, if you will.

Now religion as long since served its purpose and is now a little like a cancer attacking its host.

I don't fear weapons of mass destruction, I fear those who wield them. And behind most ambitions for power is usually someone with one religious conviction or another.

If there is to be an end to our species, religion will be the instigator of our demise...

6:18 pm  
Blogger Onkroes said...

"Religion... is... cancer"

I'm paraphrasing of course.

This woman may have had the best of intentions, but you know what's paved with those! the road to hell is paved with good intentions is the old saying in case you don't know.

I've said this before, but I actually admire faith (well some faith anyway) and what people of faith can achieve. But that's people of faith, and faith isn't religion.

Those who follow blindly and never question will reap what they sow (to steal a metaphor). If you question and question and have found your answers, then good for you (whether I agree with your answers or not is immaterial to both of us), but if you then stop questioning then you're following blindly!

That applies to all of us, not just the religious. Continually question - if what you believe in (be it faith or science or nothing) is 'true' (for you) then it will stand that questioning and keep coming back for more. If it withers under your questioning then it wasn't worth the time of day.

7:15 pm  
Blogger Katrina Ray-Saulis said...

Very well-written post.

I have to say, I agree. Religion should be a free-choice, and we should be protected against anyone knocking on our doors and attempting to preach their personal beliefs on us...

Then again, they can be rather entertaining, as well...

~Athena

12:40 am  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Hi and thanks for posting!

Freedom to think is the battle ground, here.

And if you listen to the religious, then they would have you believe that to think freely is to believe in one religion or another, with such phrases as: 'See the light', 'See the truth' and: 'Open your eyes.'

I liken this enlightened attitude to the periodic national elections in Russia where the Communists partake in a democratic process.

To further skew this already bizarre situation, if the Communists were to seize power, then their victory would be the final episode of the very democratic process that enabled then to come to power in the first place.

Let's not forget the original purpose of all religions: to control the thoughts & deeds of all men & woman.

To turn people into dependable, malleable resources.

Make no mistake, and be in do doubt, this is the ultimate aim of any religion.

Any such issues of peace, love and hope are merely peripheral exercises in spiritual marketing.

Religion relies largely on an ignorant populace to further its ends.

Look to any third world or developing nation. Look at the size and the unrelenting conviction of these people.

A lack of education becomes an avenue to be exploited by all religion.

This fearsome mechanism is no more perfectly crystalized in the form of the so-called Martyrs who willingly give their lives to end the lives of the 'infidel'.

When all is said and done, what use to any religion is a man or a woman with the faculties and desire to question?

The ideal subject is one who accepts blindly and without question whatever dogma or preposterous proposition is put before them...

1:26 pm  
Blogger DJ said...

In one moment of bravado (Or stupidity) I decided to greet one of these people fully nude. They haven't been back since and my neighbours still talk about it. I wouldn't recommend it but if you don't allow yourself the time to think before you act, it can be quite an effective deterrent.
I used to try to mess with these people's minds a while back but that got boring and they got better at dealing with my twised logic so it was no longer fun.
They dont even seem fazed by out and out profanity either. Darn, what's come of this?

6:57 am  
Blogger wise donkey said...

don't fear weapons of mass destruction, I fear those who wield them. And behind most ambitions for power is usually someone with one religious conviction or another.

If there is to be an end to our species, religion will be the instigator of our demise...

- well said:)

11:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home