Wednesday, May 11, 2005

No regrets


I'm not the kind to feel guilt or to regret.

While I am impulsive, in the fleeting milliseconds between thought & deed, I've already gone through all of the things that could go wrong.

So while being impulsive, I'm not reckless or stupid.


I can honestly say that from the many and various events of my life, I have only one regret, and this one regret only came to me years after the event took place.

But more frustratingly, the events that led up to this one regret were largely beyond my control.

Even when my mother died, I had no regrets. I knew that everything that I wanted to say to my mother had been said.

The only disappointment is that she will never see any children I might have.

But that's a disappointment, not a regret.

Anyway, when I look at guilt, I see people who say & do things that they ought not to have.

I often say & do things that people wish I hadn't, but I meant them all the same. So there's no room for guilt in my world.

Envy is another strange emotion.

I don't feel envious of anyone.

If I see someone with something that I would like, then I set about working towards that goal. I would never begrudge someone having that one thing.

If they acquired that one thing by either luck or effort, then good on them!

But this isn't to say all of these emotions aren't good. They've all got survival value.

Thing is, I don't need them...

5 Comments:

Blogger Onkroes said...

No Guilt, and only one Regret.

Mate, if you can go through life with no guilt then (a) you've got it going on (whatever that means ;-)), and (b) you're obviously not a catholic or a jew (whose religions linger a little too long on guilt).

I regret many things (some beyond my control, some in my control at the time) - I guess I'm too impulsive, or maybe I rationalise the decision to myself a little too easily.

9:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a few regrets in my life, but they're almost exclusively to do with money ("Shouldn't have bought that!").

Guilt: doesn't happen to me very often and if it does I do my best to put right what it is I'm feeling bad about.

The only person I envy is my missus: she's just so damn lucky to have someone like me.

0;^)

10:26 am  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

That's pretty much how I see things, also.

I learn from things. In that respect, I'm no different to anyone else...

12:37 pm  
Blogger zuzula said...

Ah - the Tao of Smallman :)

3:43 pm  
Blogger Onkroes said...

"I learn from things. In that respect, I'm no different to anyone else..."

Aaaaah, now I understand, you don't know anyone else!

Only kidding (obviously), but I'm not kidding about the fact that there are lot of "anyone else's" out there who certainly don't learn from things (that they or anyone else has done).

I like ekapa's definition, I've got loads of lessons learned!

4:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home