Monday, May 23, 2005

Things that really .. really make my day: part IV


It's those little things that make your day.

But to put things in their proper perspective, there aren't all that many big things that make your day. But if you get enough of the little things and spread them liberally over the course of say a week, it's probably just as good or arguably better than one big good thing.

Some time ago, I got a call from someone asking me if I wanted to partake in a business questionnaire.

I get this kind of thing all of the time, and most of the time I usually decline.

Well this time, for what ever reason, I said yes.

At the end of the brief questioning about the functioning of me and my business, I was surprised to be told that I had qualified for a free gift and would I like £30 of HMV vouchers or £30 for some clothes shop that I've since forgot.

Of course, I asked for the HMV vouchers.

Anyway, for a couple of days I kept an eye out, looking for said gift in and amongst all of the junk mail that I receive, but there were no vouchers.

So, I gave up on 'em.

There I am, Saturday morning just checking my email and my dad walks into the room with a letter.

He leans against the wall as I tap away, acknowledging him with a shift in my posture.

Dad: "I was going to throw this away with all the other crap."

He presents a letter in one hand.

I scan over the brief letter and just as I was about to say, 'why didn't you?'

He holds out three £10 HMV vouchers in his other hand.

Needless to say, that made my day.

With that £30, I bought three DVD's which were on offer; buy 3 DVD's for £20, and I bought a music CD double-disc which was also on offer and a new release, no less.

On top of all of that, I qualified for a free music CD of all of the latest artists currently making a mark for themselves.

Quite an eclectic mix of artists for sure, but not the sort of stuff that floats my boat.

So while that didn't exactly blow wind up my skirt, so to speak, it was a welcome surprise.

That little lot really did make my day...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when things like that happen.

A similar thing happened to me and the missus - we both got our car insurance with MoreThan, but didn't realise that by doing so we were entitled to £30 of Marks & Spencers vouchers each - not my type of shop, but she got some nice underwear ... ;^)

12:08 pm  
Blogger Sray said...

Isnt it often the small things that cheer us up? It doesnt have to be money.

Perhaps a sliver of sunlight on a cloudy day, or a field with a bed of flowers....

12:17 pm  
Blogger zuzula said...

aw, how fab - what DVDs did you get?

6:55 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Well, being the consummate kid-bloke, I bought Matrix II & III, already having the first now completes the trilogy.

I also bought the excellent Leon, staring Jean Reno and Gary Oldman.

The music CD was DJ Tiesto, In Search of Sunrise: Latin America.

Very much my kind of electronica; very relaxing and chilled...

7:09 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Follow the link in the article.

HMV are a music and entertainment retailer that've been going for some years.

HMV is an acronym of His Masters' Voice. The logo for HMV is a little terrier dog looking tilt-headed into an old gramophone speaker.

You can get vouchers from just about any high street retailer.

The idea is, you go in and buy some vouchers and then send them as a gift to someone.

The vouchers are then only valid tender in that outlet and can only be used to buy goods from them...

5:30 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

No bears or wolves.

We killed them all hundreds of years ago...

10:09 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

There's been talk of re-introducing wolves to certain areas.

There's some millionaire guy who wants to introduce them to some area up here in the north.

No bears, though. And for obvious reasons.

They require vast tracks of land and are just too large and unmanageable for our country.

Besides, there's growing evidence of a population of panthers living on the moors down south somewhere...

10:53 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home