Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Wet behind the ears


Now, I'm no big fan of Thomas Cruise Mapother IV.

Personally, I think he's prone to being a bit of a pocket-poser who's managed to garner more interest and accolades than his acting abilities would otherwise demand.


Maybe this is just the roles he plays, but he always comes across as the self-assured, overly confident slick with an answer for everything.

However, in his later years, he's impressed somewhat with roles in films like The Last Samurai and The Minority Report, so I'm a little less dismissive these days.

Anyway, despite all of this and despite all of his weird pseudo-religious malarky and despite the persistent rumours that he's gay, what happened t'other day in London at the premiere for his new film, The War of the Worlds was just as inexplicable as it was embarrassing.

As a measure of the man, I don't think he was all that embarrassed. I'd say he looked more pissed off and angry than anything else. As would I, I might add.

Where the two of us differ is that I would have shown the kind of restraint Russell Crowe would be proud of, in that the 'joker' would be shitting his teeth out the following day.

What embarrasses me is that when all is said and done, Tom Cruise is the consummate professional who always has a smile for his fans, who is always happy to sign an autograph, and who is probably arguably the least pretentious of all movie stars.

So here I am, an Englishman who finds himself severely embarrassed by some half-man, half-whit dolt who thought it would be a bit of a wag to make some guy look like an idiot in front of the world, when in reality, most people wouldn't have found the jape in the least bit funny.

I feel a great need to apologize for the guy with the hose-pipe microphone and to apologize on behalf of everyone else.

But if nothing else, Tom Cruise is a smart enough guy and I'm sure he's very much aware that one man does not a country maketh...

7 Comments:

Blogger Onkroes said...

This quote:

``I'm here giving you an interview, answering your questions and you do something really nasty,'' spat an angry Cruise, grabbing the prankster's arm. ``You're a jerk ... jerk ... you're a jerk.'' A stung Cruise said it was ``disgusting'' that someone would act that way.
He added, ``I really work hard to make people feel good,'' as he toweled his face dry.
What a wet blanket!


Makes him sound like an idiot for not laughing it off. I don't agree that it was 'nasty' but it wasn't particularly funny either.

And I would class it as assault! If you say "oh, it doesn't matter" legally opens up a whole can of worms about what is acceptable or not to do to someone else. If water doesn't matter, what about gunge? (like the many kids shows that dunk people in gunge tanks), what about sand? What about poking someone in the eye? It's not as obvious a line as it sounds and if you don't draw the line here, then you're opening it up to potentially major abuse.

I'm not saying you should hang, draw and quarter the perpetrators, but not letting them use the footage, and fining them heavily would make them (and anyone else) think again next time.

I don't think it's significant that it was done in the UK though, but I guess we'll see from the US stories in the next few days whether it's taken as an afront.

12:03 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

"I don't think it's significant that it was done in the UK though,..."

And I agree, but it's just the kind of thing you'd expect to happen over here.

What with spoof characters like Dennis Penis by Paul Kaye raising the bar somewhat, I suppose it was only matter of time before someone did something to raise the bar even further...

1:55 pm  
Blogger Onkroes said...

or should that be lower the bar?

7:27 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

"or should that be lower the bar?"

Probably.

Apparently, the guys behind the farce are working for that vanguard of off-the-cuff 'progressive' humour Channel 4...

7:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was quite impressed with Cruise's reaction - there are plenty of "stars" who would've screamed for their lawyers and had one of their entourage drag the guy off to a window-less room.

Hats off to the bloke.

P.S. I'm quite looking forward to War Of The Worlds.

8:57 pm  
Blogger Rainex said...

I bet Tom's reaction
was out of absolute
shock. Ok it was harmless-
but it could have been
battery acid. Yep do agree
Russell Crowe would have
punched the fool.
Did you see that page in
The Sun the other day?
Rusell 'Crow' the bird
that attacks people,
well I thought that was
funny.

6:22 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Hi Rainex, and thanks for posting!

I got caught out with your formatting.

For a second there, I thought you were comment spam.

Of course, you're not!

"Ok it was harmless-
but it could have been
battery acid."

Yes, and that's a good point I and EVERYONE ELSE failed to make.

Eh? I invite them in and what do they do?!

8:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home