Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Things that really .. really make my day: part V


There I am, working away. My mind divided in two. One side in auto-pilot, churning through copy for web pages. The other side drifting into some random recess, looking some feel-good memory...

It's late some Saturday night and I get a text message. I read the message and smile: "Will you come out? Please! I want to see you."

I'm not going to reply.

I get a shower, I get dressed and get in my car and drive into town.

I have to stop for some petrol. As I walk across the forecourt, I feel my mobile phone buzz in my pocket. I have a message: "Are you coming out?"

I'm not going to reply.

I nod to door man as I make my way into the nightclub and pay the girl at the door.

As I pass through the people milling around, the lights begin to dim and the music starts to get louder.

I walk around the nightclub, looking onto the dance floor.

I see her dancing, she doesn't see me.

For a while, I just watch her moving to the music knowing that's she's my girlfriend.

I watch some guy amble up and try his luck with her. She's having non of that and with a brief, false smile she turns away.

The guy stands there, looking awkward. He looks around as he wipes his sweating hands on his jeans. His friends point and jeer as they laugh at him.

I laugh to myself and with some degree of stealth, I make my way through the dancing crowd and step up behind her, taking her hips in my hands, moving her hair to one side and kissing her neck as I draw closer to her body with mine. Moving in motion together.

I'm sober, she's less sober.

She sighs, I smile.

For the next hour or so we dance. We just dance.

Her friends disappear into the nightclub.

We don't say a word. We just hold each other and dance to the pulsing music.

I have some pretty amazing memories .. just thought I'd share one with you, that's all.

Hope you don't mind?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Hope you don't mind?"

Of course not - it is your blog after all!

If I didn't reply to my missus after the first text message the following one would receive a swear word or two ...

:^(

5:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Receive? I meant "contain".

Spaz.

5:09 pm  
Blogger zuzula said...

you old romantic, you :)

6:34 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

D A M N ... I really, really like that description. Alot. =)

10:06 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Ok, so yeah, I'm back to extend my comment...

Why can't I have fabulous thoughts running ramapant on the non-work related side of my brain. Other than the fact that I'd get nothing done.

Also, what if she wouldn't have been there, or been dancing with another?

But to just meet and stand close with no words... that is incredible. And I am glad you shared it. Very glad indeed.

10:12 pm  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

"Also, what if she wouldn't have been there, or been dancing with another?"

There is no guarantee other than me knowing the woman in my life and being able to trust them...

11:01 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Good for you then. Perhaps I was seeing it from the perspective of some of my own ill-fated relationships. Trust is paramount.

11:54 pm  
Blogger DJ said...

Well written...

7:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home