Wednesday, October 05, 2005

A poor head for figures driving me mad...


Yet again, someone has thrust some report through claiming that using a mobile / cell phone while driving is dangerous.

Yet again, we're weigh-laden with a huge body of data telling us how bad this activity can be.


Yet again, the government, the various research bodies and just about everybody else have singularly failed to answer the blatantly obvious questions I've had buzzing around my head since day one of this whole charade coming into fruition.

How can using a mobile / cell phone while driving a car be more dangerous than holding down a conversation with someone sat in your passenger seat?

In fact, I'd say that chatting to someone sat to the side of you is even more dangerous.

You disagree?

Of course you do. But if you read on, you might just change your mind.

The whole issue boils down to human nature. If you're anything like me, then you're a passionate observer of people. And if you're anything like me, you can actually observer yourself, your mannerisms and your way of doing things.

When you speak, unless you're a quadriplegic or an accountant, you use your hands. And if you're imparting a story or something humourous or trying to force your side of the argument in a heated debate, you'll use the rest of your body, too.

It's human nature to do so.

Another thing that you'll do is face the person that you're speaking to and look them in the eyes.

It's human nature to do so.

Doing this while trying to operate the controls of a vehicle traveling at any appreciable speed isn't the safest thing in the world to do.

And guess what? When you're driving, you're often imparting a story or something humourous or trying to force your side of the argument in a heated debate .. and you're using the rest of your body!

But things get worse.

What about smoking when you're driving .. while talking to someone sat at the side of you.

See what I'm driving at?

6 Comments:

Blogger Onkroes said...

Abso-bloomin-lutely spot on - I've seen people, while driving, lighting a cigarette, reading a newspaper, reading a book, putting a tie on, eating sandwiches, opening a packet of sandwiches, shaving!, putting lipstick on, talking to (and looking at) a passenger, head underneath the dashboard (presumably looking for a tape), and last but by no means least, putting a jumper on over their head. There are some very stupid people out there. Legislating for stupidity though, is a very very tricky business!

2:30 pm  
Blogger Shirley said...

I remember cutting school (didn't think I could remember that far back, did you?) and jamming 20 people into a car. The driver dropped her cigarette under the seat, and ducked down to find it while the car was moving. Good thing she was going slow, we still hadn't left the parking lot. But she did hit a car. And we scattered fast and left her to deal with it.

I'm a really nervous driver, so I can't take my mind off the road for a second.

12:39 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

Ooh! I'm always observing what people do,we all are in my family. Wherever we go or if we are near people we always observe them in what they're doing or not doing.It's a natural habit isn't it,You can't not help observing others in this world!
Rest assured, we say bad things about them to ourselves quietly though!

10:47 pm  
Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

I get your point yet can't refrain from saying...If you'd just read that report while driving, it would all make much more sense... {wink}

1:56 am  
Blogger Katie said...

What's happening with your blog Wayne! I miss your great ramblings about the world an miss you!

12:16 am  
Blogger Wayne Smallman said...

Hi Gindy!

The whole licensing issue is something I'm going to be covering soon, so I don't want to get ahead of myself in this comment.

Stay tuned .. so to speak...

10:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home