Sunday, October 16, 2005

Thought of the day


"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
~ George Santayana

"[Georg Wilhelm Friedrich] Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can never learn anything from history."
~ George Bernard Shaw

Well I have my own thoughts about why we are otherwise doomed to repeat the errors of our collective past, and it's a simple if not depressing one: because those who follow are arrogant enough to believe that they can avoid such historic failures and that they believe that there is profit enough to risk failure in any case.

After all, if there was any profit in peace, we would have known peace centuries ago...

2 Comments:

Blogger LiVEwiRe said...

Although not meant in this context, the first quote scares the hell out of me because I have a really (seriously) terrible memory. I'm doomed.

7:50 am  
Blogger Katie said...

Great quotations Wayne honey!

There's a great lot of truth in those qoutations and I love the quote by George Bernard Shaw. Did you know I used to live a few miles away from his house at Shaw's corner? it's a great tourist attraction down here at Hertfordshire! Never been to see it though!

11:37 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home